So now you want a Skottle or just bought a Skottle, you are getting ready for your overlanding or camping trip, but you do not know what food or ingredients to pack, or what camp food you are going to make on the Skottle? Well, to help you with camp food ideas that are super tasty and easy to make on the Skottle, we started this series of trail chow, to help you with your camp food checklist for every day on trail. First up, is the super delicious Philly Cheesesteak on the skottle.
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
The Philly Cheesesteak has finely sliced ribeye steak, caramelized onions, and provolone cheese. The Philly Cheesesteak has been altered to include bell peppers and mushrooms on the West Coast, but an authentic “Philly” consists of steak, onion, and cheese served on a roll.
- Steak preferably rib eye or shaved beef steak
- Two Long roll bread (Oggie) I used Ciabatta
- One white onion
- One cup of Crimini mushrooms
- One green bell pepper or two large jalapeños, Six slices of provolone cheese
- Four pieces of yellow American cheese
- Three garlic cloves
- Two tablespoons of butter
- Salt, Black pepper, and Onion powder
- Cooking Oil and Worcestershire sauce
How to make Cheesesteak?
This is one of our most straightforward sandwich recipes, with minimal preparation and even faster cooking. It’s a supper that takes 30 minutes to prepare. This can be prepared on the stovetop, a flat cooktop, or a grill, but for our Trail Chow purpose, we do it on the Tembo Tusk Skottle.
Cut onions into thin slices.
Cut garlic into small pieces.
Cut the two large jalapeños length-wise.
- Preheat the pan and put some oil in it.
- Put the onions and jalapeños in the oil and add butter into it.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce.
- Sautee everything until it is caramelized, then transfer to a bowl.
- Put the oil again in the pan, add steak, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak until it is entirely done, add the onions, separate the mixture, and top each with two cheese slices.
- Cover them with buns and use a spatula to fill the buns.
- Fill the stuffing inside buns.
For Veg Preparation
- Sautee Crimini mushrooms in butter, season it with black pepper.
- Mix sautéed onion with mushroom.
- Add cheese over the feeling.
- Fill it between the breads and serve it hot.